Sunday, February 3, 2013

New Genius CP V2 review and upgrades


Official photo

Hello again,
If you really can’t wait for the week-end to come, like me, to get your helis up in the air, but it’s too cold outside(at least were I live) you have two options: simulator, which after some time gets boring, and micro helicopters… Yes, the micro helis that let you enjoy flying in the warmth and comfort of your home… 
Lately, I become a new owner of the nice Walkera Genius CP V2 that I got from miracle-mart with free-shipping, which saved me about 18 usd, and also I got some nice up-grade parts, that I also plan to review for you.
Initially to be honest, I was tempted by the mini cp and recently by the super cp, but I changed my mind quickly after getting more info on these.
Don’t get me wrong, the mini is a nice toy, but as I already like the 6 axis gyro on my Master CP, I hope I will like it also on the Genius.
So, I guess many of you are asking themselves by now: hey, why should I buy the GCP V2 over the initial genius cp ? I asked myself the same question, and I will list below the differences I found apart from the new cool canopy:

  • new receiver with only 6 axis gyro vs old one with selectable 3/6 axis
  • battery and antenna connection points are glued(was an issue on the original genius which they fixed now)
  • new lighter coreless motor, that should improve flight time, by having less mass to spin
  • new 2g digital servos
  • new canopy that personally I like more than the black/red one
  • tail boom is longer ?
  • due to new receiver and firmware tail holds much better
 Like I said, the upgrade parts will be fitted on the heli and reviewed at a later time, so stay tuned.

Most common modifications done the the GCP which from my point of view worth considering should be:
1.Brushless conversion
There are countless versions of conversions, among which also an official Walkera kit. At the moment of this review my heli is stock, but I will update if and when I will do this mod…The main benefits would be more power, and theoretical flight time improvement…

2. Landing skids mod.
Since the skids and in the same piece with the frame, which was a major complain from many genius owners to walkera, they released the V2 with the same bad skids design. If the skids break on some tough landings, you have to replace the full frame, which is a costly operation, financially and time wise…So, apparently the best skids saver is to have a wire run through your skids end, front and back and fix it to the ends of the skids using normal heat shrink sleeve that is very light…By doing this the energy from a crash is distributed evenly in the skids and frame…and according to many owners it is really a good idea…

3. Servo saver
Like many other Walkers helis the servos strip easy in a crash, not many people find handy to just get new metal servos as upgrade, due to the additional cost.
So, the solution is preety simple and it’s kind of a mechanical fuse…You just have to take off the servo arm and cut it where it sits on the servo head. By doing this, all the energy from the crash will not go directly into the servo causing it to strip, but it will just make the servo arm you previously cut to slik on the servo head. Brilliant idea, isn’t it ? Many people use some small o-rings to extra hold the arms in place, but I guess this is trial and error for each one.

Final thoughts : As I said in the beginning of this review, and have to say again, the heli is very stable indoor, so it’s really easy going without the fear of scratching the walls, so that the wife can complain about it :)
Because outside is still cold and windy I only flown it indoor, but hey, this is mainly an indoor flier, right ? If I want to fly outside I take my Master CP or my 450…Don’t’ get me wrong, this is still a collective pitch heli, so, unlike the 4 channels helis(like the V911) it can handle some wind with ease, especially in idle-up mode where rpm is higher…Also I can say that so far I don’t see the need to go brushless, even tough many people have gone this way…I know the motor is more efficient, but until it will die on me, I am happy the way it flies so far…
Being my first 6 channel mini helicopter I cannot comment how it is compared to other, but reading a lot of internet resourced, I would say it’s among the best bang for the buck micro’s.
I just finished a hover test with the stock battery untill the heli landed by itself and with the stock battery I got : 6min 30 sec, and with the extreme-productions upgrade battery which is 7 grams in weight against the stock one at 6 grams, I got 7 min 30 sec, which so far is the longest flight time I got with any heli...The only issue was that the motor was hot...

I hope you find the info in this review usefull, and until next time, I wish you happy flying and blue sky.

Below is my youtube unboxing and small review movie:



Likes:
+ very stable indoor flyer
+good flight times
+good crash resistance
+good looking

Dislikes
-landing skids still not separated like all genius community suggested to walkera
-servos are a bit expensive





The box, only mention for v2 version is the sticker

Left side view
Original Picture


Right side view

Underside view

Front view

Left side view with canopy off

Front side view with canopy off

Right side view with canopy off

Hely without canopy and battery weight

Canopy weights 2.4 grams

Servo's area

Receiver and motor view

Flight weight with canopy and stock battery

Stock battery weight


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...